I have written articles for a number of publications about TV advertising of prescription drugs. TV news programs are unlikely to invite me in to talk about the subject since the pharmaceutical industry spends $5 billion per year on TV advertising. The latest article was published in Pharmaceutical Processing. You can read it here. My six reasons why the ads should be banned are highlighted below. Read the complete article here.
1. DTC advertising can create artificial demand.
2. The ads do not improve American health.
3. The TV ads are inappropriate.
4. The ads urge people to get expensive drugs no better than cheaper alternatives.
5. The TV ads add are subsidized by taxpayers.
6. European countries with excellent healthcare do not allow TV ads for drugs.