Current Events by John R. Patrick – 05/05/2023
I changed the name of this section from What’s new? to Current Events by John R. Patrick. Feedback told me there was some confusion about “news”. The In The News section contains news about a new publication by me or a news story which mentions me or is about me.The Current Events by John R. Patrick blog posts contain snippets of current events I am following. Some of the topical areas change from time to time. The following are the current topics. Please send feedback on this new section to j[email protected].
Here are some of the latest news on AI today according to Bard AI:
- Google AI researchers have developed a new AI system that can generate realistic images of people, animals, and objects. The system, called Imagen, is trained on a massive dataset of text and images, and it can generate images that are indistinguishable from real photographs.
- OpenAI has released a new AI tool called DALL-E 2, which can create realistic images from text descriptions. DALL-E 2 is a powerful tool that can be used for a variety of creative tasks, such as designing products, creating art, and generating marketing materials.
- Microsoft has announced a new AI initiative called AI for Earth, which will use AI to address some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges. AI for Earth will focus on areas such as climate change, water scarcity, and deforestation.
- The US government has announced a new AI initiative called the National Artificial Intelligence Initiative, which will invest $1 billion in AI research and development. The National Artificial Intelligence Initiative aims to make the US a leader in AI research and development.
- The European Union has announced a new AI strategy, which aims to make the EU a global leader in safe and trustworthy AI. The EU AI strategy sets out a number of goals, such as ensuring that AI is used in a responsible and ethical manner, and promoting the development of AI skills and talent in the EU.
These are just a few of the latest news on AI today. AI is a rapidly developing field, and there are many exciting new developments happening all the time.
Words from President Zelenskyy on Friday…
The occupiers are already internally ready for defeat. They have already lost this war in their minds. We must put pressure on them daily so that their sense of defeat turns into their escape, their mistakes, their losses.
I thank each and every one who destroys the enemy! I’m thankful to everyone who, despite any difficulties, returns our land to Ukraine! We are preparing to add even more weapons for you, warriors, to have even more opportunities to defeat the aggressor and restore peace.
Glory to all our soldiers currently in battle, at combat posts and on combat missions! I thank everyone who trains our fighters! I thank everyone who treats and restores Ukrainian soldiers after injuries!
Glory to Ukraine!
Bitcoin is showing some weakness at around $26,350 but its decline is not much different than many tech stocks. I think it is multiple uncertainties which is causing this. The SEC still seems to be regulating by enforcement instead of clarifying its regulatory intentions. Coinbase is fighting back and the market seems to agree with them. Total crypto is still about. $1 trillion with Bitcoin representing 46% of it. VCs continue to invest in crypto. There have a number of failures and criminal activity but innovation is still alive.
GAMMAT stocks at $8.6 trillion with Apple being $2.7 trillion of it. Market has the blahs. Deficit. Inflation. Default. Uncertainty. On and on. Tech is racing to build better and more accurate AI. This will impact all companies. Every one. I believe it will create new jobs, increase productivity for all, but eventually take a big toll on jobs. Very big.