Clothing By Amazon
I suspect a lot of people were skeptical upon hearing that the world’s largest bookstore would now be selling clothing. What does Amazon know about clothes? I don’t know how many people at Amazon know clothing but they acquired hundreds of partners who are experts. Combing those partnerships with Amazon’s incredible service and it may add up to a powerhouse in the clothing business. The first few days of their beta test brought some amazing results.
Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO, reported the following sales results in an email:
- 14,487 shirts Polo Ralph Lauren button-downs to DKNY blouses)
- 1,843 jackets (Old Navy fleece to Polartec windbreakers)
- 2,712 sweaters (Eddie Bauer V-necks to Liz Claiborne cardigans)
- 140 swimsuits (Tommy Bahama to Speedo)
- 9,408 pants (Gap khakis to Guess jeans)
- 485 skirts (Nordstrom suede to Spiegel leather)
- 1,461 sleepwear items (Marshall Field’s satin robes to Lands’ End flannel pajamas)
- 3,254 pairs of shoes (Nike Air Max to Nine West boots)
- 1,870 pairs of socks (Cole Haan cashmere-blend to OshKosh B’Gosh cotton)
- 2,805 accessories (handbags, watches, scarves, etc.)
- 3,287 pairs of underwear (Jockey briefs to Hugo Boss boxers)
When I saw this, it made me say "Wow!". Time will tell, but I have a hunch this new expansion of Amazon is going to be very successful. To up the odds Amazon is offering a $30 promotional certificate when you spend $50 or more in the new Apparel and Accessories store.
Disclosure: I have a small (insignificant) investment in Amazon stock. I am also an "Amazon Associate". That means that people can buy things from Amazon through the patrickWeb store and I get a small commission if they do. I donate all commissions to charity.